Wednesday, January 23, 2013

It was too much to ask

When I was pregnant with Ruth Ann I was convinced I would be a mother who would breast feed...I wanted the weight loss benefits but I was also convinced it would make my baby more healthy and add a few extra IQ points...and can't we all use a few extra IQ points. Anyway, Ruth Ann arrived and the images I had of how easy breast feeding would be went right out the window with a lazy little eater. Even when she would take a bottle it would take her FOREVER to eat.

Needless to say, breast feeding didn't work and I was really upset & disappointed in myself. I called a friend who I consider to be one of the best moms ever and as it turned out, she couldn't breast feed her babies either. She listened to me cry about my fears of making my baby stupid and possibly chronically sick and then said once I made my decision to either keep at it or give it up then I would feel much better...so at 5 weeks, I gave up and Ruth Ann was officially a formula fed baby. And she's been very healthy...she didn't need an antibiotic until she was 2 years old and I think she's a pretty smart little girl so far.

So when Tripp was born I knew I wasn't going to give myself a hard time about breast feeding...I tried it again, he was a much better than Ruth Ann...had he been my first I could have gone a lot longer, but having a newborn and a 2 year old was time consuming to say the least, so once more I gave up at 8 weeks. I'd gone longer than I had with Ruth Ann so surely he was going to be just as healthy as Ruth Ann....

I was wrong...this is how we have spent our winter months so far...

I'm ready for Spring & warmer temps for more than one reason...but using this thing less is reason #1

We've been the proud owners of a nebulizer since the Fall...and every time he's gotten a cough since then it turns into wheezing quickly. It was clearly too much to ask to have 2 healthy children...I'm praying Spring comes quickly because this momma is tired of cough & cold season!

post signature

No comments: