Sunday, May 2, 2010

17 months

I know I say this at least once a month...and usually it's on the first day of the month...but it's worth repeating...I can't believe how fast Ruth Ann is growing up! 17 months can not have really already gone by!

005

Lately, when I'm asked how Ruth Ann is doing my response is as follows..."She's BAD!". But honestly, she's not into anything different than any other child her age...I think her momma just has unrealistic expectations at times! I love seeing her little personality develop every day...for example...when asked if she wanted a breakfast bar this morning she responded in her favorite way "Umm, No.", I just told Arch she's a girl who knows what she wants and won't take anything less. That character trait will serve her well later in life...just not while she lives under my roof!

Ruth Ann now has 12 teeth. It seems like I waited on the first tooth to pop through for months and now she seems to have a whole mouth full. We're still waiting for the teeth between the top four and back molars to come in so we may see that huge gap between her front two teeth finally close in.

Ruth Ann loves being outside and loves long walks in her wagon. Unfortunately we live in a very hilly neighborhood so our walks are grueling on me...I keep warning Ruth Ann that if she gets much bigger I'm going to make her get out and push!

Potty training has stalled out at our house and I'm afraid I will not be meeting my 18 month deadline I had set for myself. I thought if I put training panties on her for a little while she would find out how wet panties felt and would want to do something about it...I was wrong. She walked around in wet panties like it didn't bother her at all. Oh well, I may need to set a new goal.

My favorite thing Ruth Ann is doing right now is recognizing familiar faces in pictures. For about 6 months or so she would say or sign "baby" when she saw any baby or small child. But now she points to Spencer's pictures and says "Bubba", when she sees my mom's picture (or any woman who looks to be of a grandmotherly age) she says "Mammie" and when I'm on Facebook and she sees a picture of my niece Ada, she says "Addie". I was on the phone one night with my mom, sitting with Ruth Ann in my lap in front of the computer...I'm a serious multi-tasker...anyway, I pulled up Toni's (my sis-in-law) profile and she has a picture of Ada as her profile picture. Ruth Ann immediately said "Addie"...I had seen her do this several times, but my mom had not...she of course thinks her granddaughter's are 2 of the smartest kids on the planet and thought this was particularly cute, so she called Toni to tell her about it. It turns out this was the nickname Toni called Adam so she loved that without any conditioning Ruth Ann had decided to call Ada this same nickname. So sweet, I love the little ways the Lord helps us remember Adam...even if it's just passing along a nickname!

post signature

No comments: