Monday, December 27, 2010

Baby Boy update

So I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago that baby brain had set in and I had been experiencing some word retrieval problems. Well there was a little more to the story. It was two weeks ago when this occured, along with blurred vision and headaches. I had also started to notice some tingling and swelling in my hands, but wrote it all off as the end stages of pregnancy...or a stroke, which is why I told Arch and my mom all my symptoms so they could relay them to the doctor later that night if the need arose. Anyway, I got home, showered and went to bed and felt better the next day. So I wrote it off and didn't even talk about it with the doctor last week...but today the same symptoms started again leading me to do a little research and I thought I may be showing signs of preeclampsia. I had a doctor's assistant check my blood pressure and it was normal but I just didn't feel right. Since I could feel Baby Boy moving around and I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for tomorrow I gave thought to going home early, but not to calling my doctor's office...then my doctor's office called me to reschedule my appointment so I shared my symptoms with them. The doctor on call told me to head to the hospital and she would see me there. They monitored my blood pressure and Baby's heart beat for about 2 hours and along with some blood work gave me a clean bill of health. The doctor on call checked out my progress and the good news is I'm 2cm dilated and 50% effaced...but the bad news is I walked around 2cm dilated for weeks with Ruth Ann only to schedule an induction. Dr. Mullins told me I'm favorable for induction and had I been 39 or 40 weeks she would have induced me tonight...but alas, no new tax deduction for our family this year. I realize what I'm going to say next sounds crazy, but being in the hospital made me realize I'm having a baby! It's all been talk and preparation up until now,but sitting in the hospital bed, hooked up to monitors, listening to his heart beat made it very much a reality that Baby Boy will be joining us very soon. I'm hoping we'll pick an induction date at my appointment on Thursday. I really want to try to work until mid-January so I'm thinking January 17th...but we'll see!


post signature

1 comment:

Auralee said...

Wow - wow - wow. Must call you tomorrow! Hang in there - the finish line is in sight.