Friday, December 18, 2009

Baby it's cold outside...

Today it has been NASTY outside! I'm so glad today was a day off so I could stay in my pj's with my baby girl as long as I wanted...and believe me, I did...it was noon before I took a shower today! I knew the bad weather was coming so planned ahead for our dinner menu for tonight...because when it looks like this outside...

004

This is what I want to have for supper....

006

This recipe is from one of my very favorite cookbooks...Catering to Columbia. I received it as a wedding gift and gifted it to a few friends before it went out of print. You could only find this book at The Happy Bookseller (my all time favorite bookstore) in Forest Acres (aka Columbia, SC) but it went out of print sadly before this bookstore closed it's doors.

I've made this so many times, I know it by heart, so I'll share it with you...

1 lb stew beef (I cut the raw pieces into small bite sizes)
1 package Lipton Onion Mix
28 oz crushed tomatoes
28 oz diced tomatoes
2 cups water
1 can lima beans (drained)
1 can peas (drained)
1 can green beans (drained)
1 can kernel corn (drained)
2 cups onion
1 cup celery
1 cup sliced carrots
1 whole potato (peeled and cute into small bite sized cubes)
salt & pepper

Brown meat in very large pot...the tallest and fattest pot you have...as the meat begins to brown you will notice an increase in liquid in the pot...add the onion mix and mix well. Add water, diced & crushed tomatoes. Add all remaining ingredients...salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for 4-6 hours...when the potatoes and carrots are fulling cooked you should be good to go, but the longer this cooks, the better it is...this also freezes well!

Even Griff was hunkered down for the bad weather...when he looks this pitiful outside it briefly makes me wish he were better house trained so he could snuggle up by the fire place...alas...he's not, so he remains in the cold.

003

If you live in the South East you had the same weather as I had today...and it may have been worse where you are...I hope you were all able to stay in doors where it was warm and toasty!!



post signature

No comments: