Saturday, February 6, 2010

Saturday Mornings with CMT

Growing up I hated not being able to pick what we listened to in the car. Either my mom wanted to listen to WMHK, the Christian station in Columbia, or my dad wanted to listen to country music. I have nothing against Christian music, but in the late 80's WMHK was all about Sandy Patty & other gospel singers...this station has come a long way since then and is now a much more family friendly station & I would highly recommend it to anyone. Country music also didn't appeal to me either, but somewhere along the way it grew on me and now it's my choice music genre. I attribute this to the 6 years I spent in the Heart of Dixie (i.e. Auburn). You could count on hearing Dixie Land Delight or Sweet Home Alabama at every band party in town on any given weekend. However, I still enjoy listening to good Brittney Spears cd circa the late 90's...who doesn't love "Oops I Did it Again"...you're singing right now aren't you...it's okay to admit, you're in the company of friends!

Arch is doing his best to pass on a love of country music to Ruth Ann because when I wake up on Saturday mornings I wake up to find my daughter and her daddy enjoying country music videos on CMT. What's really funny is Ruth Ann loves it...as is evident by her swaying to the music. I don't really love watching music, but I put up with it since Ruth Ann likes it so much...the things you'll do for your children.

Do you ever hear a song on the radio and think it has a catchy tune, but you don't really listen to the lyrics? I do, but then when I see the video I seem to pay closer to attention to the message...at least that's what happened today when I saw Carrie Underwoods video for "My Temporary Home". I found myself listening to a sweet reminder I needed to hear this week. The first verse is about a child in foster care going into yet another foster home, the second verse is about a single mother living in half-way house with her daughter, the third verse is where I heard the message I needed to hear....

The scene is set with Carrie Underwood visiting her grandfather as he is preparing to leave this world for a much better place...here are the lyrics...

Old man, hospital bed
The room is filled with people he loves
And he whispers don't cry for me
I'll see you all someday
He looks up and says "I can see God's face"

"This is my temporary Home
It's not where I belong
Windows and rooms that I'm passin' through
This was just a stop,on the way To where I'm going
I'm not afraid because I know this was
My temporary home."

This is our temporary home

This Friday (Feb 12th) Adam would have been 29 years old and as much as my family would all love to have him here to celebrate in our temporary home with us it's nice to be reminded there will be a day we'll get to celebrate everyday in our Heavenly home.

Here's a link to the video...get a tissue...





post signature

1 comment:

Auralee said...

Okay, tears are flowing! Thanks for sharing.